Planning for flooding

Here in the UK we know that over the summer months we can go from hot glorious sunshine to horrendous downpours and flooding. Here are few steps on how to plan ahead of a flood:

Maintaining your property

Keeping up with general maintenance such as clearing drains and gullies of debris could help prevent overflowing.

Take out home contents insurance

Make sure you consider home contents insurance to protect your home contents and belongings.

Find out where you can get help

Areas prone to flooding may already have flood groups and community hubs where you can find food, clothing, shelter and advice during a flood. Some areas have community flood wardens - volunteers who monitor a specific local area and inform its residents when flooding is likely.

What to do if you get a flood warning

A flood warning means you must take immediate action when flooding is expected, which could mean:

  • Moving vehicles to higher ground if it is safe to do so.
  • Moving the family and pets to safety.
  • Moving important items that you can’t easily take away with you upstairs or to a safe place in your property, starting with cherished items and valuables, then furniture and furnishings.
  • Turn off gas, electricity and water supplies if it’s safe to do so; never touch an electrical switch if you’re standing in water.
  • If you have property protection products such as flood barriers, or air brick covers, use them now.

Click here for more information and useful tips.

Please remember you are responsible for replacing your home contents and belongings. Could you afford to replace your furniture and personal possessions if you were to suffer a flood?

Home Contents Insurance Scheme

The National Housing Federation’s ‘My Home Contents Insurance’ scheme has been designed for tenants in
social housing, to cover you against damage caused by floods and storms. You can pay premiums in cash fortnightly or monthly, monthly by direct debit or annually and upgrade cover if required.
Fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge.

To find out more about My Home Contents Insurance scheme:

Phone: 0345 450 7288 (Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm)

Related Documents